 Administrative / Suggestions / 1162
Re: leaving LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:51:38 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
Fortunately (for me), since it's NNTP and SMTP, messages aren't ever
"lost", because somebody out there might still have them-- the
central database isn't the only source for it. Member data being
different obviously, unless someone's set up something to slurp the
data (I've admittedly done that a few times with member pages, set
rankings, and even public set lists for various statistic analysis)

Of course does anyone actually support a NNTP server feed off of Lugnet (as
opposed to individual reads which only get posts that you are actually
interested in)? On the other hand, a cancel DOES NOT delete the post, it
just removes it from Lugnet's public interface. I don't think it even
prevents Lugnet from later publishing the post in any form.

Note that you also can only NNTP cancel posts that were submitted by NNTP.
You can not NNTP cancel web originated posts.

I also agree strongly that it is not good to allow or encourage mass cancel.
Now if someone got a valid court order requiring all their posts to be
removed, the administration would be obligated to honor that order.

Frank