 Administrative / NNTP / 846
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:40:20 GMT

Hello Ross, hello everybody,

If that won't work, how about making it so we can just reply to the email
instead of going to the web page.  I think I could create an auto-reply
rule or something in my mail program that would make this automatic.

This I can definitely do, but it will have to be at least somewhat
interactive so that someone doesn't accidentally cause a message to get
posted simply by replying.  For example, you would probably have to reply
and then put an 'x' in a box or some other way of marking which of the
choices (post or delete) that you want to apply.

And it'd have to be something that can't be easily automated by the poster -
this defeats the scheme. I've seen some web pages which generate a bitmap
containing a string which isn't easily scanned, and asks you to type the
string in to authenticate. You could mail such a bitmap, and make the user
type the string in the body of the reply, or something.

Can one of you set me straight: I assume the attacker has no access to my
email account. How could he, then, automate an email reply I have to send in
order to make my post valid?

As for a minimum amount of interactivity, I can probably live with that,
and, indeed, it is necessary to not let some authentication replies slip
through unnoticed. It would still be nice to combine that with some
mechanism that allows to authenticate a whole set of postings at once ...

Now, just to make sure we do not just discuss the potentially unfinished
odds and ends, let me try and summarize the situation as it is right now,
after the "lost messages" problem seems to be fixed. There are basically
three use cases, and there seems to be some consensus that, ideally, none of
them should require a cross media authentication solution:

- The Web interface
  Everybody who uses this seems to be very happy with the solution
  Todd worked out, because it is very well integrated, and therefore
  almost invisible to legitimate users.

- The Mail Interface
  Currently requires a cross media Web authentication scheme, which
  could be enhanced to allow for bulk authorization. Of course, as
  always, this means additional work ...
  A potentially more user friendly solution could be the mail authent-
  ication scheme discussed above. Again, this means work to be done ...

- The News Server
  Currently requires the same cross media Web authentication scheme
  as the mail interface. Also, since at least some of the News Server
  users use a combined News/Mail Client, reusing the mail authentic-
  ation scheme discussed above could be a viable option for them as
  well.
  Using the NNTP authorization scheme, while technically possible,
  cannot ensure that legitimate users of the server can only post
  with their own identity. Also, it would make it harder to just
  read news (as opposed to read and post).
  The PGP idea I brought up in one of my earlier postings may not be
  adequate for every user, depending on their technical skills and
  the level of PGP integration into their respective newsreaders.
  Still, it seems to be the only possibility that promises one stop
  shopping for NNTP users. I haven't seen much discussion about it,
  especially no comment from Todd, so I am still not sure whether
  this is technically feasible or not, and how much effort its
  implementation might cost.

As a final word, let me thank Todd for the work he has already put into
this, and express my hope that the current discussion does not put too much
of an additional burden on him ...

Greetings

Horst