 Administrative / NNTP / 824
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 04:02:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Brad Hamilton writes:
If that won't work, how about making it so we can just reply to the email
instead of going to the web page.  I think I could create an auto-reply
rule or something in my mail program that would make this automatic.

This I can definitely do, but it will have to be at least somewhat
interactive so that someone doesn't accidentally cause a message to get
posted simply by replying.  For example, you would probably have to reply
and then put an 'x' in a box or some other way of marking which of the
choices (post or delete) that you want to apply.

And it'd have to be something that can't be easily automated by the poster -
this defeats the scheme. I've seen some web pages which generate a bitmap
containing a string which isn't easily scanned, and asks you to type the
string in to authenticate. You could mail such a bitmap, and make the user
type the string in the body of the reply, or something.

But you've already heard my views on this whole authentication thing.

Regards

ROSCO