 Administrative / NNTP / 692
Re: Reducing the level of chatter in lugnet.lego.direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:58:54 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.nntp, "Kyle D. Jackson" writes:
Well this is a first.  Only part of this message got posted.
LUGNET was extremely slow last night, bogging and timing out
left, right, and centre.  I never thought that only part
of a message could end up being posted.

It is strange.  I checked the server logs and what's shown in the incoming
webpage form log matches the message that appeared.  In other words, what
the server received when you clicked "Post Message" on the web is exactly
what your browser sent via HTTP; it didn't get lost along the way from the
HTTP server to the NNTP server.  One puzzle is why your browser stopped
sending your text at the place it did (or why the HTTP server stopped
receiving it) and the other is if it was related to the slowness you
experienced.  Checking the load logs, the load on the machine was at one of
its lower points at 22:42 last night when you posted.  Perhaps there were
net burps going on somewhere.  I see that there is a small spike of activity
5 minutes later, as if a few things that weren't getting in suddenly did
(only guessing).

What browser was used? With Netscape at least, I regularly see it give
up after a transaction is only partly done (I've never experienced this
during a post, only during a read). The more I experience HTTP, the more
I feel it's a broken protocol. The way it operates seems to leave it
particularly vulnerable to poorly performing networks, especially when
an overloaded firewall is involved.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com