 Administrative / NNTP / 296 (-20)
  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) That's an interesting point. I hadn't realized that April Fool's Day hoaxes that don't contain a disclaimer are actually violating the T&C. (...) That's good or bad? --Todd (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) What are those connotations? You're making me feel old. :-) Other than spontaneous all-night slam-dancing with techno trance house musing and things of that ilk, I'm not aware of other meanings of the word "rave." I don't think there's (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) Whoops, sorry about that. Right. It's not just the U.S. where the finer granularity worked out. --Todd (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) Me too -- they belong right alongside regular Bionicle discussions, IMHO. The funny thing is, they belong more in a lugnet.debate than they do in lugnet.off-topic.debate. I haven't been successful yet (ever) at getting people not to have LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) In the case of a pure move from one name to another, I'm pretty sure I could relocate all the content so that discussions could continue in the new place as if they'd always been there. --Todd (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) Is it possible to tell if someone is making a profit? Let's say they find a stash of 6769's (Fort Legoredo, originally an $85-$90US set) for $20US each and offer them for $30US each. --Todd (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) Good question. In all cases, I'd make sure the old URLs still worked in case there were links or references to old articles. Groups that had a significant amount of stuff to be moved would probably be reinserted as if they were new at the new (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

Ok, some initial thoughts.... I was opposed to a .rant type group earlier, I now see that it could be valuable. One question though is how to get the ranting to move there. I don't think we can eliminate initial rants in response to an announcement, (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) Ok, Could you add a TOS/T&C comment regarding April Fool's and other speculative type postings.. I know that on the posting page it clearly states that you agree not to submit " false,fradulent,incomplete or decpetive information.". However, I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) lugnet.market (...) How about supply and demand ? Software geek/MBA (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) I agree with the comment that it shouldn't be under .lego. Otherwise, this sounds like a good way to deal with the type of comments you describe. (...) Ditto my comments about .rant. Plus, I'd recomend a name change. The term rave has certain (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) flogs. (...) OK, this isn't an answer to one of your specific questions, but I will comment about these ideas anyway. I see no need to separate .forsale from .swap. Everything I have forsale is also available for swap and vice versa. Actually, (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3aa34df1.136496190@...et.com>... (...) Some of the CN groups have reasonable amounts of activity too, and I wouldn't want to see them go away. Vancouver would have more except that a lot of the local discussion happens (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) replace (...) lugnet.market (...) I have to "me too" on this post. James has stated me feelings on this quite well. I generally don't even go to auctions, but then I miss the personal auctions that people run (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) Sure. They can't hurt, and adding them gives you the coverage you need to toast the mostly obsolete dear-lego group. I'd suggest having them as just .rant and .rave instead of under the .lego.* hierarchy, to avoid implications that they're (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) I'm for both of these groups (ie, lugnet.rant and lugnet.rave). I think that your reasons for wanting them are valid. (...) Hmm. I'll be honest- I would rather see debates about Bionicle take place in the Bionicle newsgroup, than a general (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

(...) I like the idea already expressed for .rant/rave combined. (...) I agree with your reasoning on this one. It's a good idea. (...) This is the area I visit the most (after Castle). Your suggested change is very good -- it mimics how I think (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

Err... I guess I figured out how to cancel a web-posted message via my newsreader. :-) -Tim (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  (canceled)

  (canceled)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact