 Administrative / NNTP / 281
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:07:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

So, speak your opinions on these:

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?
* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?

I'm for both of these groups (ie, lugnet.rant and lugnet.rave).  I think that
your reasons for wanting them are valid.

* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?

Hmm.  I'll be honest- I would rather see debates about Bionicle take place in
the Bionicle newsgroup, than a general lugnet.ON-topic.debate type group.

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?

Oh, dear god, please no.

I like having auctions seperated from sales.  I generally detest auctions, on
eBay or otherwise, and like not having to wade through the auction posts to
find the sales.  PLEASE keep them seperate.  Please!

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?

I would really like to see any kind of "for sale" or "for auction" posts
limited to the .market hierarchy.  I think that if, indeed, people in the UK or
in Italy want a local market group, it should be lugnet.market.loc.uk or
lugnet.market.loc.it.  Yes, I am aware that this is a target for trigger-happy
market posters.  However, this is one of the risks that I think comes with
wanting that group.

And I think the benefit of being able to make the blanket statement "no
marketplace activity should take place outside the lugnet.market.* hierarchy"
will far outweigh the negatives.

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
Why or why not?

I would say let them grow organically, but not axe the sub-region groups.
Beleive it or not, I once found the fact that there was a lugnet.loc.* group
for Bologna, Italy to be incredibly useful.  The US is a big place, but so are
other countries, especially when you're asking for something very specific.

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?

I agree with this, it causes the groups for those orgs to fall into the
intuitive place for them- the lugnet.org.* hierarchy.  Having them outside
weakens the hierarchy.

eric