 Administrative / NNTP / 283
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:28:30 GMT

James Brown wrote in message ...

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and • replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and • lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?

Hmm... as others have mentioned, .swap is not entirely clear how it's
different from .wanted, and there would likely be a lot of x-posted.  How
about just lugnet.market.foroffer and lugnet.market.wanted?

The only thing that personally bothers me about this is that I'll
more-or-less stop reading the market groups.  I stopped reading .auction a
while ago because the ratio of noise (things I wasn't interested in, mostly
e-bay, but also lots of other auctions) to content was too high.  If .bst
and .auction are effectively merged, then I highly suspect that the
noise-to-signal ratio will be too high for me to put my time into it.  :/
But personal preferences aside, it sounds like a better, more clear
hierarchy, and so is probably a good thing.

I have to "me too" on this post. James has stated me feelings on this quite
well. I generally don't even go to auctions, but then I miss the personal
auctions that people run (which I would participate in). I would also (if
you combined the groups) abandon BST (if you combined the groups)  area
because the noise from Ebay would be so great.

BTW we added a skip filter to all Ebay messages in auction but so many
messages still get through that I generally don't even bother looking in
auction anymore.

Rose