 Administrative / NNTP / 288
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:25:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
The goal of this discussion is to come away with a list of practical
improvements.  Ideally, any changes would also make it easier to explain
things in the TOS/T&C, and even better, would alleviate need for certain
things to be explained in the first place (because they'd hopefully be so
obvious).

Ok, Could you add a TOS/T&C comment regarding April Fool's and other
speculative type postings..
I know that on the posting page it clearly states that you agree not to
submit " false,fradulent,incomplete or decpetive information.".
However, I feel that a clearly marked speculative post might start up new
disscusions in some areas.

The most important things for discussion here are the .market, .loc, and
org area, so I'll start with the less important stuff and come back to
those.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'd especially love to see a _pair_ of groups -- .rant and .rave -- the
former being for letting off steam and the latter being for posting praise.
And you wouldn't be allowed to post praise in .rant or to post a rant in
rave :)

lugnet.debate.on-topic : debates related to Lego (with sub trees for themes?)

I'm rather dismayed as to how few AFOLs have come online outside of the
U.S. since 1998.  It's been a lot, to be sure, but I really expected 10
times as many.  I really expected there to be a few hundred in the UK by
now, for example.  That's why the huge up-front planning of all the .loc
groups down to the major metropolitan regions.  Anyway, those guesses were
totally wrong, and people seem to want to group up in bigger groups anyway.

Could it may have something to do with the fact that unmetered Internet
acess is STILL limted outside the US?(It is here in the UK! :-( )
-----

Somewhat related to lugnet.loc reorganization is the possibility of
lugnet.org reorganization.  Long ago, for some reason, I created an .org
subgroup of lugnet.trains.  I think this may have been before the
lugnet.org hierarchy, and it definitely was before all of the other theme
groups (lugnet.trains and lugnet.starwars were the only theme groups at the
time...imagine that!).

What I'd like to open up for discussion is whether or not anything "org"
related should be moved under lugnet.org sooner rather than later, or not
at all.  That is, should lugnet.trains.org be moved to lugnet.org.train (or
for that matter lugnet.org.ltc)?

As we get more an more new types of organizations popping up (we currently
have four types, I think -- a bunch train, one castle, one town, and one
CAD), the more and more they'll become fragmented across the newsgroup
structure.

IIRC LDRAW.org is re-arranging itself into something more formal.
(There might be need for sub-trees off lugnet.org.cad.ldraw for various
working groups?)

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?

Support moving lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw..

Also I have some suggestions for new groups....

lugnet.publish.fanfiction
for lego related fiction, not limited to text based fiction but could
include URL links to comic strips... (Of course such a group might prove to
be a (C) nightmare!!)

lugnet.tomorrowtoday -
for speculative and 'clearly-marked' fictional postings concerning new
products,ideas or technologies that TLC/TLG(or others) might produce at some
time in the future.

Comments welcomed!

Alex