 Administrative / General / 9919
Re: lugnet.announce is not for MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 23:28:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
What about a lugnet.announce.moc??  This would let people posting MOC
announcements across all themes have a place to put their MOCs up before the
whole community.  The charter for .announce could more forcefully
specifically ban MOC posts and refer MOC posters to the new group.

I like this idea a lot.

I'm not so keen on it as it then is in the .announce hierarchy meaning you
still would see the posts in there when viewing .announce via the web.
Perhaps lugnet.moc.announce instead of lugnet.announce.moc????

Well, lugnet.bulid.announce would be more appropriate in that case.

Yes. Or maybe just lugnet.build... the announce is a bit redundant, perhaps.

Do the brickshelf and LSAHS subgroups bother you in the web interface?
Probably not, but only because of their volume of traffic.

It's not the low volume per se, it's the pithiness. Posts that appear there
are indeed breaking news. When I want breaking news I would like to review
.announce (and the subgroups) and quickly get up to speed. Currently I can't
do that. Contrast that with some other ways to get up to speed that work
well... When I want to know what the community is talking about, I go to the
traffic page or to the www.lugnet.com home page where top ranked articles
are listed. These both work well for what they are targeted to do.

I think most people have become accustomed to seeing MOC announcements
in .announce,

I'm accustomed to seeing people toss their cigarette butts out of the
windows of their cars but that's no justification for their doing it. This
is hardly the same thing, except in principle, of course.

so there's no reason why they would object to having the
.announce.moc or .announce.build group used for them now.  People like
yourself who would rather not see them can view it plain (without
subgroups).

The announce hierarchy should be for breaking news, only. IMHO. When I want
breaking news I go to CNN headline news and watch one cycle. Takes 15
minutes and I am done. I never watch it more than once a day, if a big story
is happening i switch elsewhere. Announce should alert you to the existence
of big stories which should then be discussed in the appropriate group,
elsewhere in the tree.

No one's MOC, not even mine, is a big enough story to go into .announce...
No one's visit to a faraway town, not even mine, is a big enough story to go
into .announce...

...and I would have half a mind to say that no train club going to a GATS
show is a big enough story to go into announce either. (not even one that
I'm a member of) Breaking the worlds record for something, maybe... a big
charity event that generates a lot of publicity, maybe. But not a run of the
mill show. Not any more, anyway. Train clubs are so successful it's not news
any more.

If it were my call I would not allow website announcements in .announce
either, but the charter allows them. But certainly one announcement is enough.

Allan, elsewhere in the thread, asked "who decides what's significant" and
that's a valid question. I would say "if you're not sure if it is and you
have to ask, it isn't". Lurkers in announce will soon cotton on to what is
significant if the community is doing a good job of gently steering newbies
aright. And those who post without lurking, without examining the charter,
without asking around, they deserve gentle admonishment.

There is no shame in making a mistake. Once. Twice even. But people should
lurk more before posting, in some cases.