 Administrative / General / 9914
Re: lugnet.announce is not for MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:02:45 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
I'm not so sure if I'd want a moderated group, if 'moderation' means
'approved by a live person before getting posted.'  If it means the group is
paid closer attention to by admins and inappropriate posts deleted/edited
and posters warned, that might be better.

Lugnet has gotten by just fine without moderators, but that's because
historically the admin(s) have been there to step in and say "don't do
that" and even delete messages if needed.  If it is expected that
admins will continue to play a less active role, as they have
recently, then moderation might be the answer.  However I'd rather
have active admin(s) than moderators.

Me too. Note please that this doesn't necessarily have to be Todd and Suz.
(or Steve or Jen or Dan) There are other people who would be willing to take
some of the load if empowered to do so.

As James Brown said, administration is not necessarily editorial control or
moderation. Community norms can be enforced with gentle reminders (backed up
with the power to remove posting priviledges if necessary for those that
repeatedly flaunt the norms) which are surprisingly effective when used
correctly and in (ahem, sorry!) moderation.

What about a lugnet.announce.moc??  This would let people posting MOC
announcements across all themes have a place to put their MOCs up before the
whole community.  The charter for .announce could more forcefully
specifically ban MOC posts and refer MOC posters to the new group.

I like this idea a lot.

I'm not so keen on it as it then is in the .announce hierarchy meaning you
still would see the posts in there when viewing .announce via the web.
Perhaps lugnet.moc.announce instead of lugnet.announce.moc????

++Lar