 Administrative / General / 9918
Re: lugnet.announce is not for MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 23:14:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
What about a lugnet.announce.moc??  This would let people posting MOC
announcements across all themes have a place to put their MOCs up before the
whole community.  The charter for .announce could more forcefully
specifically ban MOC posts and refer MOC posters to the new group.

I like this idea a lot.

I'm not so keen on it as it then is in the .announce hierarchy meaning you
still would see the posts in there when viewing .announce via the web.
Perhaps lugnet.moc.announce instead of lugnet.announce.moc????

Well, lugnet.bulid.announce would be more appropriate in that case.
No need to create a new top-level hierarchy.

Do the brickshelf and LSAHS subgroups bother you in the web interface?
Probably not, but only because of their volume of traffic.

I think most people have become accustomed to seeing MOC announcements
in .announce, so there's no reason why they would object to having the
.announce.moc or .announce.build group used for them now.  People like
yourself who would rather not see them can view it plain (without
subgroups).

IMHO, this would be the better choice, to meld well with the current
architecture.  .moc.announce is counter-intuitive with what's currently in
place.

May I suggest that if an .announce.moc group is set up that it does not
boost posts into the spotlight as currently happens with other .announce
groups?  My somewhat cynical nature prompts me to observe that a lot more
MOCs started appearing in .announce after it became evident that it only
took a couple people highlighting it to reach the top of the charts...

thanks,

James