 Administrative / General / 9230
Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 13:06:54 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
yikes...  what I'd like to see is a setup that we can use pgp signed
messages, to athunticate posts...  but that would require a fair bit of
coding, and it doesn't seem that Todd has much time now...

Authenticating posting means putting security against all the mechanisms
used to post, nntp, mail, and web, no?

With only guessing at the way lugnet works internally, I can't say for
sure.  But here's one way things might work:

A post is accepted, in some form - web, smtp or nntp.  This post can then
be processed, before actually being moved to the backend, where it's
available for reading.  It is during this processing, that a pgp/gpg
signature can be verified, for the members who have activated this
feature.

Just my guesses...

Dan