 Administrative / General / 9216
Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 16:56:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Mike Stanley writes:
Why not do this:

Shut off posting by mail completely.  Let people read, but not post.

Hey!  What about those of us who use email to read and post?  Makes it
easier to keep a record of all your posts.  It does look like it might be
difficult to authenticate email posts, though.

Well, I'd say you could switch.  And I'd rank the inconvenience to the
(probably small number of) people who do post via email as much less
significant than the increased security and authenticity the LUGNET
community as a whole would gain.

People keep talking about how Todd could custom-code this or custom-code
that (and when is the last time that something major got custom-coded around
here?  Todd's got a day job now - he isn't doing this full-time anymore) and
I suggested a way that should allow Todd to enforce some security around
here with probably very little work.

That it is now possible to post to LUGNET *without* authenticating is
absolutely insane.  We throw a fit over a Lego employee posting from one
address or another but any loser with a minimum amount of effort can post
here under any name by spoofing an address?  Come on.