 Administrative / General / 9218
Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 19:24:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Garrison writes:
By "the usual method" I mean the system we used back when I was an
undergraduate, where every post to an all-campus distribution list would cause
an automated response to the originating e-mail, which would have to be
responded to for the message to be posted.  Assuming the automatic
authentication e-mail includes some unique random code, I would assume that
someone trying to spoof the system would have to not only fake the e-mail
source, but also intercept the authentication reply.  I assume this security
measure is standard practice, but I don't really know anything about computer
security. . .

Sounds like something that may very well be a standard option in list
management/distrobution software, but may not be applicable, without
additional coding, to the method Todd uses to take posts from email and zap
them into the news server.  Could be, but I don't know.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I had the choice between verifying
each and every post manually by following some link and/or responding to a
verification method or choosing to use straight nntp and a reader like Free
Agent or Gravity, I think I'd just switch to doing it the nntp way.