 Administrative / General / 9204
Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 21:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
On Fri, 25 May 2001, Shiri Dori wrote:
Actually B is an incorrect observation. Matthew took Todd's name and posted
in his name. Todd then cancelled the post through the server.

yikes...  what I'd like to see is a setup that we can use pgp signed
messages, to athunticate posts...  but that would require a fair bit of
coding, and it doesn't seem that Todd has much time now...

Authenticating posting means putting security against all the mechanisms
used to post, nntp, mail, and web, no?

It might take less time and effort to provide a way to web cancel posts if
you authenticate that you are who you say you are. This would allow Jacob
(and no one else) to cancel false Jacob posts, etc. At the same time, I
would then disallow nntp cancelling.

This is not as good an overall solution but may give better cost\benefit.

++Lar