 Administrative / General / 8585
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Sanburn writes:
Winter Solstice festival, don't you think? :-)

Ah, Larry, always throwing a few snipes in to Christianity,
huh? I expected nothing less, that's all right.

Well, I'm writing this on December 25th in a hotel room before we go spend
the day with family and I don't take what Larry said as a snipe on Christianity.

The celebration of the Winter Solstice predates the celebration of Christmas
by a good bit, wouldn't you say?  I know good people who celebrate this time
of year who aren't Christians - are they sniping Christianity as well?

Call me crazy, but considering the Christians mostly appropriated this date
from the Roman Saturnalia (and the other holidays that predated it,
including the WS), I don't necessarily think they absolutely own the right
to call this day whatever they want and get mad when someone else calls it
something else.