 Administrative / General / 8581
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Sanburn writes:
Folks, all I responded to was Frank Filz (SP?) discussion
about debate, and according to what he thought, I agreed
with him. I think debate should be gone, it has caused more
harm than good based on my experience and what other sof
said and thought about it.

Well, for my own part, I think the debate has turned a corner. Perhaps we've
convinced Larry and Scott A to back off a bit, and I think the current
dicsussion is actually bringing up some interesting points, and doesn't seem as
much to be sliding into the "just believe" "no, you must offer objective proof"
shouting match. I must say I'd still rather see different topics discussed, but
as long as the debate is mostly civil and is real debate/discussion rather than
hip shooting shouting matches, I'm satisfied.

I think this thread came close to doing what was probably my real aim, to bring
.debate back to something which at least had a chance of being interesting. It
also sparked an interesting discussion all of its own.

Thanks folks.

Frank