 Administrative / General / 8560
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:16:44 GMT

I know that you've been gone.  I think that's a good decision for you.  But
what I still don't get is why, given that you had the opportunity to leave
.debate alone, the existence of it is problematic for you personally.

I think this is a specific instance of a more general principle, one we've
stumbled over repeatedly on vastly different topics.

Agreed.

B needs to *show* X is infringing on B, that is, that X cannot just be
ignored, or in the second case, that X is such a bad thing that it has to be
banned apriori.

Out of curiosity, how does one show that and to whom does one make such an
appeal?  Use the example of strategic nuclear holdings.  (And as an aside, do
you feel differently about tactical nuclear weapons?)

Many small l libertarians tend to hold that the class of Xs that infringe is
much smaller than the class of X that they find annoying but can just
ignore,

I think that this phenominon is not limited to libertarians.  I think even the
most "in your face" maxarchists would still agree with that idea.

Some others hold far different views, that it's appropriate for states to
ban things that they personally find objectionable, for example, or that
things that they don't personally care for, but which don't threaten rights,
are morally wrong and have to be banned.

Many of the second class don't grasp the distinction or don't find it valid,
that is, they are perfectly OK with a might makes right worldview in which
the majority impose preferences by force.

I am as frustrated by this as anyone.  I just don't get it and no one from that
side of the fence has ever been willing to explain their philosophy.  I have on
numerous occasions, explained my stances, and gotten them to generally agree
with me, and then reiterated a question about the issue (prostitution,
taxation, welfare, polygamy, Branch Davidians, Desert Storm, etc.) only to have
them answer in the same way that they did before.  I just don't get it.

Further, they don't even get that
they are *taking* this worldview, they prattle about society taking
decisions and unconstrained majority rule being fundamentally just.

Bad!  Bad Larry!  Go sit in the corner.  Prattle is not a constructive word to
use.  It would have done your argument no harm to use 'talk' instead and then
it wouldn't be a thinly veiled insult.  (But other than that, I'm still in
agreement.)

Viewed in this light, I find a great deal of congruence between the
"polyamory" debate (and many other past debates) and the "is .debate
harmful" debate. But then i tend to view everything through rights colored
glasses.

Scott S., I would say that if you wish to justify (as opposed to calling for
Todd to exercise whim (perfectly OK, but different)) abolition of .debate,
you need to make the case that the very existence of .debate is so harmful
to the rest of LUGNet that the detractions outweigh the benefits.

I think that's a hard case to make.

I would very much like to hear such a case.  I don't think it can be done, but
it might clue me in as to why those who find .debate objectionable, do.

But the whole reason for responding to this note is to wonder if maybe Larry
has outlined one of the meta-debates.  Are there others like this?  Are there
common idea-threads that cross individual debates that can be expressed like
this?

Chris