 Administrative / General / 8552
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:05:45 GMT

About .debate, Scott writes:

...I would love to see it dropped...

What is the added value to those of you who want .debate gone?  I can
completely understand not valuing the presense of debate, even I duck out • now
and then when I'm busy.  But I don't get the motive behind the suggestion • that
it should be gone.

What is the added value of having it? People getting mad at each other?
People insulting each other? People ridiculing ones faith / politics etc.? I
think it is useless. If you want to debate, go somewhere else. That's my
opinion. I leave it for Todd to decide either way. I think the bad items in
debate are worse than the good, if any, it generates.

As I see it, the presense of .debate costs us nothing(except for Todd and • Suz).
But it gains something for at least some of us.

So why not just go away if you're not interested?  In what way does it
negatively affect your LUGNET experience?

See above, and I am away from it, and have been for awhile.

If there really is some negative
effect for most people that I haven't identified, then I might change my • mind
about whether it should remain.

If I remember correctly, Chris, you seemed to have this opinon as well for
religious matters as well (maybe something else) I won't go into a ten page
discussion on the merits of having it or not having it, I would like to see
it gone, that's my opinion. I think it is bad for LUGNET for the hostility
and anger it seems to produce, and it would be a more family-friendly and
nice place without it.

Scott S.