 Administrative / General / 8547
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:00:11 GMT

To all,

I might as well thorw a comment into the fray here.....

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Well, after another few weeks of .debate, I'm really really thinking I'm
just going to abandon it, and honestly, more and more, I'm feeling it's
a waste of Lugnet resources to have it. There are two constantly
recurring shouting matches:

I gave up on debate about a year ago now, simply because Icould not stand it
anymore. There is a lot of hostile people around, that seem to thrive in
debate, and not anywhere else on LUGNET, and I came here to talk and listen
to about LEGO items, ideas, etc. not the merits of religion, etc.

- Scott vs Larry (and sorry folks - as they always say, it takes two to
tangle [though I do have an opinion as to who has consistently provided
worthwhile contribution to .debate])

Larry likes to hear himself talk, which is not a bad thing, and I think some
people like to work him up. I did learn a lot about Libertarians, which is
good, and I learned a lot about other things which is not good.

- The religion "debate" which constantly drags off into the Christians
saying their piece, which is not even remotely a debate because their
position by their definition CAN NOT be open to critical discussion.

(nitpick) Some christians.  I'm not preaching, and I can't be the only
christian who's stearing clear.

I didn't try to get into that debate. Some people have some serious problems
with Christianity, and since I am a Christian, I gave up trying to say
anything about it. It is very simple, belive it or don't, it's your choice.

I'm not sure if I'm one of the folks you're talking about, but I've
certainly dropped .debate from my reading.  It's gone way downhill in the
last while.(half a year? I can't even remember when I gave up on it).  In • my
case it was partly time constraint, mixed with disappointment in the
debates.

Indeed, I would say more than that, and the wonderful LEGO has to make Lando
debates again. That is the third worst debate outside of the other above
mentioned.

If anyone has any ideas for how to make .debate something worth
participating in, I'd love to hear them.

Nothing, I would love to see it dropped, personally. Todd has the call on
that, and he can do what he wants, he's the king around here.

I'm not sure what it would take for me to pay attention again.  Certainly
better debates.  I recently followed a thread in there (don't recall • which),
and got right back out when I saw the religion debate raging around me.

I'll watch it for a while again and see if I can come up with something • more
tangible that "better debates".

No thanks. You guys can have fun off.topic.debate, leave me out of it!

Scott S.