 Administrative / General / 8544
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:13:14 GMT

To everyone: Try posting a few ideas too, unless you're convinced that
nothing at all needs fixing.

How about the following? (to be added to the TOS?)

*Only members can start new threads in .debate, or .market. No new tech
stuff required, just include your Lugnet member number in your sig. If you
forget, someone will remind you. If you try falsifying a Lugnet membership
number you're an idiot.

I'm not a trader: do people think they would miss out on good deals if all
traders were required to be members?

*Anyone is allowed to reply to an ongoing thread. If the subject matter
changes, someone should restart it as a new thread. If seven or more Lugnet
members who have taken part in the debate declare it plowed ground (with
cross-refs), the thread dies.

I'm picking "seven" out of the air because it _should_ be large enough to
stop any clique from shutting down a debate they don't like, but small
enough to actually end a "God probably doesn't want you in heaven" thread.
The "taken part in the debate" clause is there to stop people who haven't
contributed anything to the discussion from ending it.

--DaveL