 Administrative / General / 8541
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:14:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

Also, would it
be possible to publically or privately censure those who post inappropriately?
That would be uncomfortable, but could we get used to it?
It runs the risk of
inflaming emotions, but if we could learn to suck it up, the payoff might be
really good.

I assume you mean "informally" in that for example, Frank sends me a note
telling me to cool it... or vice versa. (because if you mean formally we're
back to a moderator/council/review thingie)

I think that's a good idea. More... I think it already happens. There are a
number of people I'd gladly take that input from (and have in the past) and
there are a number of people I've given it to (and suspect they gladly took
it from me).

Easy to say that, harder to do.

I can tell you this, if someone I respect sends me a cool it, I'm likely to
take their advice. The flip side is that if someone I don't respect (and you
know who you are, but if you have any doubt, drop me a line and I'll let you
know...) does, I'm likely to become more annoyed and dug in. Human nature I
guess.

Is it the duty of the level headed to cool tempers? No. But I suspect it'd
be appreciated when it happened.

The idea has been expressed in this thread that .debate is for naturally
evolved debates to spill into and be contained.  I don't think that's all that
it is for.  I think it is also the intent of the creator that people will just
start debate topics for the interest or joy of the debate.

"intent of the creator"??? Shades of Lehmanism! Rejoice, all you faithful.
The creator's true hand is revealed, yet again. <grin>

Kidding aside, I agree. Why else would Todd have put debate fodder links in
the web page for the group?

++Lar