 Administrative / General / 8534
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:01:00 GMT

Call me elitist... (and I don't think I'm 100% disagreeing)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:

I guess, since I want to see Lugnet flourish, I am in favor of doing whatever
makes people most likely to become members, given the kind of person that • they
are.

I'm not. That is, I'm not for enabling *everyone* to be a member. There are
certain people I would be happy to see not join, heck, not even participate
here. There are only a handful of them I can name, but we had a recent
example of the sort of disruptiveness that can be caused by such.

Mmm.  That'll teach me to go around not qualifying my statements.

Clearly, I don't think that the rules should be mutated too much to encourage
everyone (coughMatthewMoultoncough) to join up- on the other hand, if subtle
changes to structure can be made without changing Lugnet's overall mission or
attitude or flavor that *encourage* people to become members, then I am for
that.

For example:  Someone's main interest is in advertising sales.  They have no
motivation, currently, than to do more than post their sales to the market
groups.  Why not make posting sale messages to market groups something you
can't do until you're a member?  That is the best way to make that kind of
poster a member.

eric