 Administrative / General / 8523
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:22:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Well, after another few weeks of .debate, I'm really really thinking I'm
just going to abandon it, and honestly, more and more, I'm feeling it's
a waste of Lugnet resources to have it.

Personally, I come and go. I lose interest in some debates, and gain
interest in others. Occasionally I'll see something that really does peak my
interest, and other times, I just feel like debating. As to whether it's
actually a waste of Lugnet's resources... well, I guess that's Todd's
call... what sort of percentages of traffic does it generate, and in what
sorts of patterns? How much resource does it take up? etc.

Personally, I'd be sad to see it go. Part of what makes Lugnet great though,
is that if it's bugging you, you can ignore it.

There are two constantly
recurring shouting matches:

- Scott vs Larry (and sorry folks - as they always say, it takes two to
tangle [though I do have an opinion as to who has consistently provided
worthwhile contribution to .debate])

- The religion "debate" which constantly drags off into the Christians
saying their piece, which is not even remotely a debate because their
position by their definition CAN NOT be open to critical discussion.

They do reappear a lot, don't they? But then again, I have no problem with
them... I'll ignore most Scott/Larry debates, and I'll pop in on the
religion one now and again, as said. But if it didn't interest me, I'd
ignore it. Just like the political debate that was going on a while ago
about the US voting system, etc., or whatever it was about. I didn't pay
attention. Anyway, suffice to say, I do like to enter into the fray upon
occasion.

I think there are interesting things to debate, but it isn't happening
here, and I honestly don't forsee it ever happening. One problem is that
too many of the folks who are interested in honest debates have given up
here.

Maybe so. Care to debate that issue? :)

I'm also not convinced that the rancor generated in .debate will always
stay there. We have seen leakage several times over the past weeks, and
I see that leakage being a result of shouting matches building up steam
in people here, and not being a place for folks to let off steam from
hot discussion in other areas.

Very true. But that's pretty unpreventable, I'd say. I mean, if people are
going to get mad at each other, they're gonna get mad ANYWAY, whether it's
through email, other groups, ebay feedback, whatever. If people are so
consumed with their annoyance at each other that they can't go back and
discuss Lego without resorting to verbal violence, well, tough noogies for
them. Personally, I've never let it bother me. And I don't think we'll reach
a complete absence of dislike/annoyance/whatever unless we do away with ALL
forms of communication. Taking away .debate for such reasons (I think) would
be a bad precedent that could lead to taking away other groups as well...

DaveE