 Administrative / General / 7249
Re: Suggestions for posting articles using web interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:26:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling writes:
2) There should be a "Preview" button so you can see what your post will
look like before you actually post it.  This would actually let you fix
line wrapping mistakes, urls split across lines, etc.

There's now an intermediate page:  in place of the "Post Message" button
there is now a "Preview Message" button.  Clicking that brings you to a
mock-up page using the same display code as the "real" article would use
once it appears after being posted.  Then you can check the line wrapping
and the URLs and all that.  And then click "Post Message" to make it post
for real.

One caveat here is that this might not play well with older browsers when
posting DAT files to .cad.dat.* groups -- the .dat content gets uploaded via
a form and can be pretty large.  What goes back to the browser for the
preview page is a form with <INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN ...> so the entire message
has to be able to fit in a hidden field.  I did some stress testing with
NN4 under Linux and it easily handled 300+ KB -- no problem there.  I doubt
MSIE will have any trouble...I'm mainly concerned about NN 3.x under Win32 --
I seem to remember seeing some troubles with 128KB limits at one time.  But
that browser hardly is used anymore, so it's probably moot.  Something to
keep an eye out for or find volunteers to test.

3) Error messages should be in big, bold, red letters.  There's been once
or twice when a post I made was NOT accepted, but the 'not accepted' page
looks too similar to the 'accepted' page, so I didn't notice it.

OK.

--Todd