 Administrative / General / 7204
Re: Suggestions for posting articles using web interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:05:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling writes:
1) There should be a web interface for canceling your own posts.

#1 were true here. It is on Deja(1). ... and ...

Yes, please.

I know how to cancel my posts with a newsreader.  But I have
access problems that make using a newsreader on lugnet difficult.
And, anyway, this ability should be available to everyone.

2) There should be a "Preview" button so you can see what your post will look
like before you actually post it.  This would actually let you fix line
wrapping mistakes, urls split across lines, etc.

#2 were true here. It is on Deja(1) ... and ...

Yes!   Sometimes I want to cancel one of my posts, and repost it,
just because of a mistake I made that I would have caught in
preview.

3) Error messages should be in big, bold, red letters.  There's been once or
twice when a post I made was NOT accepted, but the 'not accepted' page looks
too similar to the 'accepted' page, so I didn't notice it.

finally, #3 were true here. I dunno what Deja's(1) pages are like (2), but I
hear rumors that Lugnet pages could stand to be a bit more in your face when
you flub up. Not that I'd personally know, mind you, having never seen an
error page(2), but I hear things.

I've never seen an error page either.

Skipping #4, the spell-checker, which I think is extraneous - if
you're worried, cut and paste your post into a word-processor
and run spell-check on it --

My big wish -- more than the ability to cancel, even --

5)  Lugnet offers a "most recent to least recent" model for reading
messages.  I wish that it also offerend the reverse - that I could
start reading from the point of last access.

I would just do this myself, by writing down the post number of
my last read message and editing the URL manually, but there's
no "previous" button, only "next" button.  I wish there were a
"get previous 20 messages."

I much prefer reading posts in the order that they are posted, but
in the general browse mode, you're reading the newest first.  It's
nice to be able to do that, and perhaps the majority of users like it
that way, but if there were a "get previous 20 messages" offered as
well as the "get next 5, 10, 20 messages" options, I would be able to
follow the conversations in a way that makes much more sense to me.

(I'd be glad to help implement this!  Is Lugnet an open-source or
a closed-source project?)

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"