 Administrative / General / 7197
Re: Suggestions for posting articles using web interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:10:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling writes:
I have a few suggestions for improving the posting of articles using the web
interface.

I think Deja.com is not a particularly well done implementation of web access
to news. Lugnet's is better. Or would be, if only ...

1) There should be a web interface for canceling your own posts.

#1 were true here. It is on Deja(1). ... and ...

2) There should be a "Preview" button so you can see what your post will look
like before you actually post it.  This would actually let you fix line
wrapping mistakes, urls split across lines, etc.

#2 were true here. It is on Deja(1) ... and ...

3) Error messages should be in big, bold, red letters.  There's been once or
twice when a post I made was NOT accepted, but the 'not accepted' page looks
too similar to the 'accepted' page, so I didn't notice it.

finally, #3 were true here. I dunno what Deja's(1) pages are like (2), but I
hear rumors that Lugnet pages could stand to be a bit more in your face when
you flub up. Not that I'd personally know, mind you, having never seen an
error page(2), but I hear things.

4) (this one's for "way out there, when you've got nothing better to do") A
spell checker for posted articles - tied in with #2, the "Preview" button - it
could somehow (underlined, or coloured differently, or whatever) indicate
which words you've misspelled.

This one we can live without. Spelling mistakes by others are fodder for off-
topic.fun and I don't need a spell checker for myself(2).

Great suggestions, David Schilling!

1 - which, as we said, is a not particularly well done implementation of web
access to news. (3)

2 - because as everyone knows, I never make misteaks. (3)

3 - Why do you keep re-reading this footnote, aren't you paying attention? ;-)
(3)

++Lar