 Administrative / General / 6204
Re: LUGNET getting too complex?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:08:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:

while this is a workaround and not a solution to the problem you're
pointing out, is to read lugnet either with NNTP or through the
news-by-mail.  Both will only show you a message once, no matter how
many groups it's crossposted to.

Whoa, you lost me here.  Not all newsreaders are created equal.  For example, I
just checked MSOE v4.72 and could not locate any settings to exclude
cross-posted messages--have looked for this a few times before, too.

My alternate newsreader, Gravity v2.20, is much more powerful and allows me to
create customized rules.  One of my custom rules marks cross-posted messages as
read but leaves the follow-ups alone so that I can read them in the goup that
they are in.  This works fine for me.

As for receiving Lugnet messages via SMTP I cannot comment about cross-posted
messages; I only receive a handful of groups this way and they are groups that
do not often have cross-posted messages.  But my thinking is that one copy of a
message is sent via email for each group that I am signed up for, regardless to
whether I will receive multiple copies of the same post from different groups.
I could be wrong on this.  Anyone know for sure?

__Kevin Salm__