 Administrative / General / 6198
6197  |  6199
Subject:
LUGNET getting too complex?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:28:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I've been finding myself a bit overwhelmed by the LUGNET newsgroups lately. It
seems like every day there are announcements for new subgroups and discussion
categories.

I understand why these are important, and that it is nice to be able to read
two or three newsgroups that you find interesting instead of sifting through a
lot of useless chatter. But lately, it seems like I'm reading so many different
groups that have a bulk of thier messages crossposted to other groups that I
read.

For example, Jack the LegoManiac makes a new site. He is really excited about
it and he posts a message letting people know about his site. So he posts his
message to lugnet.announce. Since it is web related, he crossposts to
lugnet.publish. Then he figures it is general interest too, so it gets
crossposted to lugnet.general, and lugnet.build. Since his site has tons of
images of creations of his new theme "Unfrozen caveman lawyer in the 24th
century", his images are both castle related (since he used islanders and
castle minifigs) and space related, he crossposts to lugnet.castle as well as
lugnet.space. Better not leave out Castle World, because he wants his own
little niche island there or at least tell his story there, so he crossposts to
lugnet.org.cw. Might as well let the mech people know too so they can see his
new mechs of the 24th century... oh, and not to leave out his local locale and
organizational group.

Before you know it, a single message is crossposted to 5-10 different groups.
Now instead of the group hierarchy helping me out, it is causing me to have to
skip over the SAME message several different times. This is counterproductive
and interferes with the idea of only having to read what is pertainant to my
group.

This is especially true of the new lego direct posts which are crossposted to
every subgroup under the sun. Am I the only one having these problems? Or does
no one else seem to mind?

This seems to be a result of the tendency to crosspost with reckless abandon.
Should we limit the number of groups a message can be crossposted to, or is
there a better solution?

-Michael (trying to resist the urge to crosspost to a bazillion subg