 Administrative / General / 6006
Re: Skip Filter borked?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:23:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Susan Hoover writes:
Ah, but do they really match?  In
<http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5939>, you (Todd) wrote:

[...]

"any server in the domain .lugnet.com" is not necessarily the same as
"the originating server", which is www.lugnet.com, correct?

Hmm, probably not, but I'm not sure how browsers interpret the "only to the
originating server" phrase...  A browser -could- (and I would think should)
remember that a ".foo.bar" cookie came from "www.foo.bar" if it was going to
place restrictions on the originating server (which I think is a good thing).

I always thought the selection meant not to send cookies to sites that didn't
match the URL of the page being loaded (i.e., not sending cookies when
requesting off-site images for the page being viewed) but what you suggest
above seems like a good tip.  I'll have to go read more about cookies before
I can be sure.  And probably some additional real-world testing.

Can you
possibly alter your cookie so it is being sent from and back to
www.lugnet.com (or whatever the server's real name is) specifically, or
are you using multiple servers?  Perhaps NS has a very narrow (and
correct, to my eyes) interpretation of what is the originating server,
which doesn't include anything in that domain.

I've always been running NN under Win32, Linux, and MacOS with the "only to
originating server" option set and it's never had a problem with the absense
of the 'www' part.  Hmm.

I've seen the reverse actually cause a problem -- where if you do set the 'www'
part explicitly in a cookie from 'www.foo.bar', then someone accessing the site
under the URL <http://foo.bar/> rather than <http://www.foo.bar/> won't have
their cookie sent because it was too specific.

--Todd