 Administrative / General / 5966
Re: Skip Filter borked?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 02:17:52 GMT

For this string:

-.loc. +.loc.us +.loc.ca +.loc.uk

from within NS I get:

NEWSGROUPFILTER=-.loc.+%2B.loc.us+%2B.loc.ca.+%2B.loc.uk

OK, looks correct.

However, the water is muddy because I have both IE and NS running at the
same time (my mem just got boosted to 320M so I can do that, and an ORACLE
instance safely)

NS sets it back to what I last set it (with IE) instead of taking the new
one.

You have two differently branded browsers running which share the same cookie
jar?

No. At least not that I know of.

(Or am I misunderstanding?)

I think so. Plus I poorly worded. Mostly it was ME that was confused.

Let's review the steps (independent of any browser). I go to the skip setting
page. your server asks my browser for a cookie. if it finds it, it puts the
cookie value into the box. If no cookie is there, it presumably puts +lugnet.
into the box instead, that's the default value.

Correct so far?

OK, now, suppose I make changes and press set. Set causes the form to send the
namevalue pair with the new string to the server, which then turns round and
uses the new values to:
- decide what to display
- create and send a new cookie for the browser to keep.

This is standard stuff. If the browser is set to accept cookies, it will. If
it's set to accept only cookies from the server it's talking to, it maybe will.
If it is set to toss cookies it won't.

If it's set to warn or display, it will display what it is about to set.

Now, here's the behaviour.

NS shows what apparently is a good cookie. But apparently it's NOT accepting
it. My preference is set to "accept only cookies that get sent back to the
originating server".

Why do I think it's not accepting it? because the box still has the old values
when the page refreshes. The values should have been obtained from the cookie
that was just sent down, (immediately fetched again, I would expect). But I
suspect it's getting the OLD cookie instead.

Now, with IE in the picture, there are two cookies, two distinct settings, etc.
That was confusing me. That's all.

I always thought that MSIE and NN had
totally separate cookies and couldn't interfere with each other.

Me too. Still think that.

++Lar