 Administrative / General / 5939
Re: Skip Filter borked?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:48:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, James Brown writes:
http://www.lugnet.com/news/filter/
[...]
-.loc. +.loc.us +.loc.uk +.loc.ca

Interesting.  I fed it your string above, and didn't take when I updated. it
returned me to my old filter (-.loc. +.loc.ca -lugnet.cad -lugnet.robotics).
I tried +lugnet, and it accepted it.  I re-entered my old string, and it
accepted it.

Wow, that is wicked bizarre.  Unless your browser is being sent the wrong
cookie somehow (I doubt it!) it sounds like a horrible browser bug.

It would help me know what cookie your browser thinks it's being sent.  For
example, if I type in

   -.loc. +.loc.us +.loc.uk +.loc.ca

as Larry did, my browser (NN4.7+/Linux) reports this:

   The server www.lugnet.com
   wishes to set a cookie that will be sent
   to any server in the domain .lugnet.com
   The name and value of the cookie are:
   NEWSGROUPFILTER=-.loc.+%2B.loc.us+%2B.loc.uk+%2B.loc.ca

   This cookie will persist until Mon Jan 18 21:15:44 2038

   Do you wish to allow the cookie to be set?

which is correct.

--Todd