 Administrative / General / 4774
Re: do we need lugnet.org.castle-world?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 04:02:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Well, another idea would be just lugnet.castle.org, and split it when a 2nd
group comes along. As far as name stability, how hard is it to move all the
messages from one group to another (other than that it may break certain
references - though message URLs could be automatically translated)?

As far as I'm aware, it's impossible to move a body of existing NNTP
messages from one newsgroup to another group without completely destroying
the normal functioning of the original group.

Oops (rereading what I wrote), I didn't mean to imply that a plain .castle.org
group (with no .castleworld suffix) was a no-go because of that -- I was just
answering the part about the feasability of moving messages.

My thought was that if a while down the road, the name of Castle World was
changed, and it became a problem with the newsgroup, it might not hurt to
change the name of the newsgroup.

Ya, that would certainly be good, if it were possible...but that's a drawback
of NNTP newsgroup technology.  (There really aren't many drawbacks, but that's
definitely one of them.)

Would it be possible to edit (automatically of course) all the messages to
cross-post them into the new group?

Yes, but it would probably simply make more sense to burn and bury the old
group and move the influx of new messages to the new group.  The old group
could still stay around as an archive (like lugnet.cad.dat does) but just
wouldn't accept new messages.

It does seem that Castle World is sufficiently established now however that
the name is unlikely to change.

Ya, if the only reason that it *might* change would be some sort of legality
(i.e., if people are quite happy and settled in with the name) then it seems
safe to risk that it wouldn't change, since the name is nice and generic, and
the "Castle World" title on one of the official TLC pages was just a title,
and it's well documented that it did come public -after- Pawel's name.

--Todd