 Administrative / General / 474
473  |  475
Subject:
Pre-downloaded images/cache
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:26:00 GMT

Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
knowing the location on your hard-drive of pre-downloaded images (see
http://www.lugnet.com/magicache/ for a proof-of-concept).  Maybe the
work/home/machine location should be in a separate cookie from the uid/pw

Huh. Looks like a great idea, although I can't get it to work for me --
Navigator 4.5/Linux seems to have an inexplicable brokeness in its
file-browse dialog box -- it can't seem to find any files of any type. So
I'll have to check it from home, where I've got a Win95 box....

If the "Browse" button doesn't show up, maybe it'll still let you type the
pathname in manually (of the .txt file) -- see if that works...  All the server
is looking for basically is a directory name.  The .txt file happens to contain
a list of images downloaded in that tarball but I think in that test, it's
ignoring the contents of the .txt file.

Are you going to make all of, for example, the Pause image collection
available for download like this? That'd be ultracool.

Well, definitely thumbnails if it all works out...looks like it might.  Maybe
all the big images too...depends how people feel about having 5MB of thumbnails
on their hard drive compared to 150MB or more of bigger images.  Ideally, you
ought to be able to pre-download any subset you choose.  I don't know about
making custom tarballs on-the-fly but maybe if they were separated by size or
theme or something...

BTW, are there UN*X utilities for creating Windows-compatible ZIP files and/or
Mac-compatible HQX files?  I only know how to make tarballs on-the-fly at the
moment.

--Todd