 Administrative / General / 456
Re: Interface changes coming today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 01:18:00 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
CJC said:
like I could login and changed Larry's e-mail address and keep him
from being able to post.  Can I?

Why pick on ME?? I'm not the one who started invoking your name in examples,
after all... :-)

The other part of it, of course,
is the part which optionally stores a cookie on your machine -- and that's
local to your machine and you can't see or change anyone else's cookies.
If you change the cookie, you've changed what's stored in your browser, but
the server still has your old name/email combo to pass messages.

OK, if I post using the web interface from multiple machines, do I need to
enter my info exactly as before to get the cookie for the second machine, AND
be able to post? What if it's slightly different (say, my name is misspelled
but the email matches)? Cookies themselves are machine independent.. that is,
if the server decides to emit one the second time, my second machine will store
it. My question is: WILL the server emit another one? Will I get a second
confirming email?

++Lar