 Administrative / General / 473
Re: Interface changes coming today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:15:00 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Todd Lehman writes:
One of the things the member-profile cookie will have, besides user-id and
password, is the location -- home/work/etc. -- for things like (optionally)
knowing the location on your hard-drive of pre-downloaded images (see
http://www.lugnet.com/magicache/ for a proof-of-concept).

This works. Cool.

Will you share the technique, or a pointer to where you learned about it, I
need this myself for work related stuff!

Sure, here's how it works -- it's really pretty trivial and I don't know why
I've never seen it on any other site before.  All you do is have the user
upload a foofoo file using the form-upload, and you look at the location of it,
which gets passed during the upload.  Then you just do some munging on the
filename to convert winDOwS filenames C:\xxx to file:///c:|/xxx (or whatever it
is, I can't recall offhand) and then substitute this in place of the server's
directory if the user has the images pre-downloaded.

To fancy it up, store a time value with the cookie and examine each image's
timestamp on-the-fly to see if the user has it or not.

One note on the instructions, it is sufficient to clear your caches, you
don't need to actually exit the browser to validate correct operation.
Netscape communiucator gives an option to do this under Edit/Preferences,
choose Advanced/Cache from the choice tree.

That's necessary, but not sufficient -- at least with all versions of Netscape
that I've ever used (2.x, 3.x, 4.x).  Clearing out the cache does not clear the
cache for the currently-viewed page -- those images are still in the cache.

If you want to avoid shutting down and restarting the browser, you need to load
up some totally other page first, then clear the cache, and then go back to the
page in question.  So that's why it says to shut down the browser.  :)

--Todd