 Administrative / General / 4204
Re: Newsgroups for LUGs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:04:48 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <388196D0.9A54B0E8@voyager.net>...
Tim Courtney wrote:

Ok, but AFAIK there aren't any lug newsgroups right now.  There should
at least be newsgroups for LUGs and LTCs made under the appropriate
heirarchy.

lugnet.org.us.gmltc
lugnet.org.us.gmlug
lugnet.org.us.nelug
lugnet.org.us.wamalug

etc...

Agreed... IF the groups want them. PNLTC at one point I think was asked
and declined. A wrinkle, though... There's the current lugnet.trains.org
already in existence. would a putative bayltc (bayltc is just forming,
and may or may not remain affiliated with baylug) newsgroup go under
org.us.bayltc, org.us.baylug.bayltc, trains.org.bayltc, or somewhere
else?

My inclination would be to keep all specific organization groups under
lugnet.org (or subgroups thereof). However, in certain areas, I do see a
good reason to have lugnet.<theme>.org. Trains is one of the best examples,
there are issues that train groups have which are general to train groups,
but less applicable to general LUGs. For example, issues of dealing with the
NMRA. Robotics is the other place I can think of right off the bat which
could have a lugnet.robotics.org since there will be issues of working with
general robotics events.

The web page at http://www.lugnet.com/trains/org should however have
pointers to all the LUGs which have a significant train component (or are
train specific of course).

Just my thoughts
Frank