 Administrative / General / 420
  Re: From-line registration?

Yes, wonderful idea. I thought the "ickna" thing was a bit overdone, and definitely baiting you, (not that I haven't, mind you....). I'm sure that there are limits to patience, even yours. I hope this feature is completed soon, might save you some (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  From-line registration?

Some people seem to think it is cute to put garbage or ridiculous things into their "From:" lines (in place of their names and/or e-mail addresses). My gut instinct says that as more and more (and younger and younger) people discover this resource, (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) I think this is a good idea. I've snipped the proposal itself but it seems well thought out. This silliness is an unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of "getting a jump" and going public early, before the full system is implemented, as it (...) (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

I'm sorry if I made you mad about that, I fixed it now. Nick (26 years ago, 18-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

  Re: From-line registration?

I fixed as in changing my name shorter Toddstill hasn't answered my question about where it is put (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

Be sure to allow someone to have SEVERAL email addresses registered. Sometimes you don't have a lot of control of your From address and it can change depending on the machine setup (for some reason I have no clue, my email sometimes comes as from (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) I didn't understand your question, Nick. I think I do now. Your From line currently says this: From: "Ickna" <ickna@nospamaol.com> which means that somewhere, in your Microsoft Outlook Express configuration, you have entered "Ickna" in the (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) Did news posts show up that way too? I've seen that pretty commonly on mail, but I don't think I've seen that happen on news postings, have you? I wonder if the From-line comparison and indexing should ignore host names inside a domain just in (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) That's just poor management on your college's part. You should have had a central address you would both "come from" and have mail sent to. There are 3 main Unix boxes here on campus - larry, moe, and curly. I can telnet to any one of them and (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

so really, the server doesn't override it and I can't keep my nickname? Nick -- Instructions for usage of Ickna®: Ickna® should be placed on a level surface, maximum acceptable incline is +/- 5° Ickna® is not a toy, may be toxic to less that .00013% (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

oopss, sorry, forgot to change the sig, it took me a while to figure out where the signature settings were, but I found them again, i removed the registered trademark marks -- Instructions for usage of Ickna: Ickna should be placed on a level (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) Wait, huh? I wasn't following this discussion, but: people aren't allowed to have nicknames on LUGnet? (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) I don't know? I remember the email problems because it gave me problems subscribing/unsubscribing and (occasionally) sending mail messages to certain mailing lists. There was never any problems with news since the news server received from (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) Perhaps. Note: This was back in 1991 and 1992 on VAXen. (...) In late 1992, I got an account on tamuts and tamsun and I never noticed the same problem with those -- so it may be a VMS thing. Sarah (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) No, that's not the case at all. Nick is confused. Nicknames are allowed (no pun intended :), as long as someone's true real-life name is known by the system so it can be attached to the messages they post. What's disallowed is anonymity. (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) It's going to look for a match on the pair (x,y) where x is the Name field and y is the Email-address field. It'll parse various forms of the From line to get x and y. --Todd (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) Might be. I remember our Vax and VMS quite unfondly. We finally retired it a couple of years ago, I think. (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) Wow, there's a blast from the past! -- I think that sounds like my experience too. I just dug these old From lines up from an old Usenet archive from 1989: From: toddl@cat22.CS.WISC.EDU (Todd Lehman) From: toddl@cat24.CS.WISC.EDU (Todd Lehman) (...) (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: From-line registration?

(...) Hah. Want a real blast? My current job involves migrating Boston University's few remaining VMS systems to Something More Modern. Whoo hoo. I sure get MY fill of typing, lemme tell you. DCL ain't exactly a terse. (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)