 Administrative / General / 423
Re: From-line registration?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:11:00 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:

I wonder if it would be best to require "From:"-line registration via a web
page prior to accepting posts from someone.

I think this is a good idea. I've snipped the proposal itself but it seems well
thought out. This silliness is an unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of
"getting a jump" and going public early, before the full system is implemented,
as it will manage all this detail for you in a friendly way. So is the
signature thing.

This is a learning experiment, we must not stop because of wrinkles. Those get
ironed out, and we move on.

It is expected that 99% or more of submissions would be accepted.  If
someone is rejected and they don't like it, well...they can go complain in
RTL or something and see if other people think it was unfair.

I had to leave this part, though, because it made me laugh a lot. Reminded me
of that sign you see in redneck bars:

" Our complaint manager is Helen Waite...
  if you have a complaint, you can go to Helen Waite! "

In fact this might even be the start of an epithet. If I'm annoyed at a poster,
I may just tell them to "GO TO RTL" instead of "Go to ...". Hey, it rhymes.

--Todd

Stop Decrementing!!

++Lar