 Administrative / General / 440
Re: From-line registration?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:44:37 GMT

Perhaps a Princess.... <sarah@eskimo.com> wrote:
In College, I had the options of:
@venus.tamu.edu, @summa.tamu.edu, @rigel.tamu.edu, @(two more I can
not remember off head right now)

That's just poor management on your college's part.  You should have
had a central address you would both "come from" and have mail sent
to.

There are 3 main Unix boxes here on campus - larry, moe, and curly.  I
can telnet to any one of them and get mail sent to my main Unix
account here, which does not include any of those 3 names, likewise
none of my mail looks like it is coming from any of those 3 names.

I know some people do end up specifying the machine name (venus,
summa, rigel, etc), but they don't really have to if things are done
right, and they're really shooting themselves in the foot if the
people in charge decide to change the name of the machine.

Not arguing that people do (and sometimes must) come from different
addresses, though, although those are almost always something the user
should have some control over.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET