 Administrative / General / 439
Re: From-line registration?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:33:16 GMT

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess....) writes:

Be sure to allow someone to have SEVERAL email addresses registered.
Sometimes you don't have a lot of control of your From address and it
can change depending on the machine setup (for some reason I have no
clue, my email sometimes comes as from @eskimo.com and sometimes
@mail.eskimo.com

In College, I had the options of:
@venus.tamu.edu, @summa.tamu.edu, @rigel.tamu.edu, @(two more I can
not remember off head right now)

Did news posts show up that way too?  I've seen that pretty commonly on
mail, but I don't think I've seen that happen on news postings, have you?

I wonder if the From-line comparison and indexing should ignore host names
inside a domain just in case; it's already got to ignore certain things like
backslash-escaped quotation marks, so that all of the following map to the
same thing:

   "name" <login@host.domain.xyz>   ->  ("name", "login@host.domain.xyz")
   name <login@host.domain.xyz>     ->  ("name", "login@host.domain.xyz")
   login@host.domain.xyz (name)     ->  ("name", "login@host.domain.xyz")

('name' might contain a pair of double-quotes in the user's news-
configuration but show up as backslash-escaped double-quotes in the From
line.)

Possible transformations (for comparison and indexing only) include:

1.  Extraction of name & email addr from ( ) and < > forms

2.  Conversion to lowercase [probably not necessary]

3.  Removal or conversion of backslash-escaped special characters
    such as double-quotes

4.  Removal of anything between \@ and \.\s+\.\s+$ in email address
    (in other words the host/machine/subnet name)

5.  ISO-8859-1 conversion ("=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8?=l" => "Søl")

--Todd