 Administrative / General / 400
Re: Two NEW nits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:44:00 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@ctp.com> writes:

Well, they're *different*, but (and I hate to nitpick a nitpick (1)) not
*meaningful*. A second sheet of paper doesn't really mean reply to me, it means
longwindedness (2).

It's supposed to suggest that you're writing a message "on top of" the other
one -- i.e., following up the original with your new one.

Contrast with the two buttons on the button bar for post
and reply in the NS 4 newsreader, the reply uses a back arrow to clearly show
that some reference is intended (and the next one over clearly shows forwarding
since it points away from the reference).

Egad -- bite your tongue -- those NS4 icons are terrible!  (I've had them
turned off since installing it and I'd forgotten how bad they were.)

The NS4 icons for "New Msg" and "Reply" are way too different for functions
that are almost identical.  The only difference between "new" and "reply" is
quoting and an initial address list -- so the icons really ought to be
similar.  Icons should always conform to a localized icon "language" IMO...

--Todd

p.s.  I think the label on my "Post" icon is especially confusing when
juxtaposted with the "Reply" icon -- as both of them are for posting
messages.  "Post" should really be labeled "New" so that the two functions
are "post new message" and "post reply to message."

pp.s.  The Browse icon also needs a page halfway flipped in the breeze.  :)