 Administrative / General / 371
Re: A Nit about the "next article"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 02:55:01 GMT

lugnet@lugnet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

Note that the progressive links on article ranges properly disappear when
you hit the end (it won't let you try to walk off the end).  Try this:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:300-349

and then click "350-369" and notice that it correctly stops there.  Same
if you try it in reverse:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:29-20

This display works correctly because it already has read the .overview
file.  Gimme a few more days to fix the other thingy.

Playing around with this lead me to the following nifty discovery (which I
should have known you'd do, since you understand the "principle of least
surprise")

I can manipulate the numbers as I wish! If I go up to the URL box and
change

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:300-349

to:

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:200-349

I see more articles!!! and if I change it to:

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:349-300

they're in the other order!!!

Thank you for handling this in an unsurprising manner.

-Lar

http://www.lugnet.com/news/       Search, Read, Post, or Watch Traffic