 Administrative / General / 375
Re: A Nit about the "next article"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:03:34 GMT

"Chris Barnes" <chris@barnes.net> writes:

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Playing around with this lead me to the following nifty discovery (which I
should have known you'd do, since you understand the "principle of least
surprise")

I can manipulate the numbers as I wish! If I go up to the URL box and
change

Its almost as if Todd can read minds.  scary...

Heh heh, that would take all the fun out of user interface design.  :)
Actually, my background is in UI stuff, and I most enjoy writing software
that I actually end up getting to use, so I try to make things extra geeky
sometimes (where it doesn't get in the way of non-power users).  I think
it's important to always ask questions and listen to comments from the real
users.  I also like UI designs to evolve and go though little "intermediate
gratification" steps so that there's not too much put into place in one big
plop.  But I think it's good to have a general direction planned out for
coherency, as long as it's always adaptable, IMO.

BTW, on the range thing, you can also omit one of the two numbers in the
range and say  -250  or  250-  so if a number is omitted, it means N, where
N is the number of articles in the group.  So

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:250-

means "show articles numbered 250 on up to the end, in chronological order"
and

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:-250

means "show articles from the end down to 250, in reverse chronological
order."  If you omit both numbers and just use a hyphen, it's the same as if
you hadn't put anything after the group name.  To display all messages in a
group use one of these:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:-1
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:1-

(which right now doesn't limit the maximum number of articles shown on a
single page, but might have to limit to 100 or 200 or 1000 someday...we'll
see).

I'd also like to see (but haven't implemented it) a way to say "show me the
most recent N articles in a group."  Right now the only way to do that is to
leave off the :numbers and it shows you the most recent 20 articles.  Maybe
this could be encoded using parentheses or something.

--Todd