 Administrative / General / 369
368  |  370
Subject:
A Nit about the "next article"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:51:00 GMT

If you are at the last article, perhaps you should suppress showing a URL for
the next article. When 368 was last, pressing the 369 URL while viewing 368
gives a page that says:

"Article 369 does not exist in group lugnet.admin.general."

which is true, but not very useful. (1)

<pontificate>
When I was a wet behind the ears junior IBMer, the most senior programmer there
(later went on to be an IBM STSM, one step below IBM Fellow) told me something
that always stuck with me:

"Never let the user make a mistake. It is better to put code in to prevent
erroneous actions than to put code in to tell the user what he did wrong."

So put the code in to suppress "next" appearing, instead of the code to report
that I was dumb.
</pontificate>

1 - and that reminds me of a joke.

- Lar