 Administrative / General / 2891
Re: Code Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:15:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (alex wetmore) writes:
From: "Laurentino Martins" <lmartins@marktest.pt>
Now I wonder what's the best way of implementing it, because HTML
doesn't seem to be the best for copy-paste...

If the scripts are on their own pages then it is trivial for someone to
right click and do a "save as" to download the file to their computer.  If
they want to view it then they could normally view it with a standard click.

However, I like the idea of having a newsgroup for this.  It would be
interesting to subscribe to it and watch the new scripts come in over time.

As LDraw enthusiasts have discovered (via the lugnet.cad.dat.* hierarchy),
having special newsgroups for these sorts of things really makes it nice to
follow discussions that pop up as well, since they're simply lower-level
nodes in the thread-tree.  For example, when Bram Lambrecht posted his LDraw
model of a Colonial Viper (remember Battlestar Galactica? :) last week,

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/models/?n=395

all of the feedback was right there as followup messages, and they can be
followed several ways (not just limited to news):

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/architecture.gif

[...]
So a script archive is a great idea, and for starting out doing it as a
newsgroup would be nice too.  The only issue would be keeping general
discussion out of the group, and only allowing NQC programs.  Perhaps it
could be moderated.

Human moderation of newsgroups presents a can of worms,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=696

but fortunately there are ways to do automatic "pseudo-moderation" which
have proven to work nicely in the past.  For example, the lugnet.announce
newsgroup (and its subgroups) requires that the 'Followup-To' field be set
to another group, in order to direct follow-up discussions elsewhere.  So if
there were a .nqc.code subgroup of .nqc, it would be very easy to configure
the group to require followups elsewhere, with .nqc as the default if no
followups were specified.

I would be interested in seeing a similar library for pbForth.  I'm
personally interested in using this language, but haven't had a chance
to yet.  A library of basic scripts (which might already exist; I haven't
looked in a long time) would be a good way to a quick start.

Heck, we could do it for all three -- NQC, pbFORTH, and legOS.  Could even
start a webpage with links back into the news articles to organize them.

--Todd