 Robotics / 6894
Re: Code Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:54:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Laurentino Martins) writes:
Just remember, you must it very easy to post code and pictures or people
will not end up using it a lot.

With regard to posting pictures, I don't know if that's true.  The fact that
the newsserver rejects binaries has never stopped anyone from simply posting
the URL of a picture on their website.  That's better for people anyway,
because they don't have to suffer through gobs of wasted bandwidth in their
news/email.

People do post URLs every day, of course...  And as a general rule of
copyright (as I understand it), people should always publish their pictures
on their own website first prior to publishing them elsewhere.

Last time I went to the LDraw CAD group (months ago) it still had a few
problems.  I'm talking about no support for attachments (how can we post
a picture?), and before posting you must be sure the line wrap doesn't
scramble the DAT.

I wouldn't call this the best interface for posting data...

Heh heh.  With regard to line-wrapping, I wouldn't either -- and that's why
people can upload and post DAT files via the web.  It's guaranteed to
preserve the exact line endings that way, because there's no newsreader or
mailer to wrap the lines at the right margin.

In the picture attachment I was talking about the possibility of also
posting some LEGO mechanical creations (in robotics).

I just added a facility the other day for John to upload large JPEG images
of Datsville.  The server automatically creates the thumbnails at
upload-time.  <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/datsville/>

I don't how useful this would really be in the robotics context.

--Todd