 Robotics / 6890
Re: Code Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:35:43 GMT

From: "Laurentino Martins" <lmartins@marktest.pt>
Now I wonder what's the best way of implementing it, because HTML
doesn't seem to be the best for copy-paste...

If the scripts are on their own pages then it is trivial for someone to
right click and do a "save as" to download the file to their computer.  If
they want to view it then they could normally view it with a standard click.

However, I like the idea of having a newsgroup for this.  It would be
interesting to subscribe to it and watch the new scripts come in over time.

I think it is even interesting to see how different people attack a basic
problem, such as the line following algorithm.  While reading the chapter in
the O'Reilly book on NQC I noticed that their line follower has a much
different algorithm then my own.  They would go back and forth a large
amount, but always go the same amount.  Additionally, they always started by
going left.  My script would sweep left and right a small amount, and then
grow that amount until it found the line.  It also remembers which direction
it found the line in last time, and searchs in that same direction again.

Either implementation would be faster for some courses, and slower for
others.  A really complex implementation could start to keep statistics on
the course (for instance, is a left turn always followed by a right?) and
make its first move decisions based on that.  It would be an interesting
challenge to hold a line following race with a range of courses, none of
which were known ahead of time, and then to find the overall winner.  By the
same token, it would be interesting to compare everyone's code for
developing their robots, and I'm sure that we could all learn something from
a few of the scripts.

So a script archive is a great idea, and for starting out doing it as a
newsgroup would be nice too.  The only issue would be keeping general
discussion out of the group, and only allowing NQC programs.  Perhaps it
could be moderated.

I would be interested in seeing a similar library for pbForth.  I'm
personally interested in using this language, but haven't had a chance to
yet.  A library of basic scripts (which might already exist; I haven't
looked in a long time) would be a good way to a quick start.

alex