 Robotics / 6889
Re: Code Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Brian B. Alano) writes:
Laurentino Martins wrote:
At 16:19 16-09-1999 Thursday , Joel Shafer wrote:
Anyone interested in setting up a code repository for NQC?  It could
be a place to look for cut and paste routines that you could use in
your project.  If you had a cool piece of code that had some reuse value,
then you could upload it to the repository.  Right off hand, I think of
proximity detection code, or navigation code that might be handy to have
in a repository.

I'm completely in favour of something like this.

Now I wonder what's the best way of implementing it, because HTML doesn't seem to be the best for copy-paste...

Someone suggested including this in the Kego Constructopedia.

It would be easy to post code to a lugnet newsgroup
(lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc.repository?).

The hard part would be creating a catalog of "clichés" and "idioms".

Why not start the repository now on lugnet now? The "catalog" could be
built later, and just reference newsgroup posts. Until we have a
functioning catalog, we could use LUGNet's excellent search engine.

Hi Brian,

Yea, if someone wanted to be an editor of the /robotics/rcx/nqc/ area of the
www.lugnet.com website, a code repository would be very easy indeed to set
up on LUGNET.

For example, John VanZwieten is editor of the /cad/datsville/ area
(dedicated to a virtual LEGO town called Datsville):

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/datsville/

I've also used the new editing facility to create a couple of other types of
pages on LUGNET:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=tidbits
   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool

I just threw this sample-page together:

   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/nqc/?p=code

The advantage of embedding a news article right in the page is that it makes
it easy to refer directly to the original information source as well as any
follow-up discussions that ensue.  In other words, code can be posted to the
.nqc group (or perhaps even some special subgroup), and then linked to very
easily.  The page source to this page (not HTML, but a different form of
enhanced plaintext) is shown here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/nqc/?p=code.ftx

Sections which grow too large can easily be spawned off into sub-pages and
either linked to or embedded in a higher-level page (see the 'tidbits' link
above for an example of embedding).

--Todd