 Administrative / General / 12290 (-20)
  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Taking no sides here, as I do not know the person, but Chris, with all due respect, your post is insulting to me. I use this word as I please and I do not feel less intelligent because of it. "Maybe you should study a little"? What are you, (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) As much as I dislike the condemnation of single words without context, given the society in which we live, there are certain words to which this applies. (...) Larry's email is not indicative of a zero-tolerance approach to the issue. On the (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) The policy itself is not intended to "cease offensive content" - see the following post for a more detailed explanation. (URL) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) I thought maybe it was a either a "term of art" or a non-American English usage with which I'm not familiar. I still don't really get the point of its usage. (...) There is an important difference (at least important to Todd). It is at least (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) [snip] (...) The goal behind the new policy is that we modify people's behavior so that some people don't get offended and leave, but the policy and its implementation is making people leave. Is this a good thing? Kevin (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Censorship (was Re: Bye, bye LUGNET)

Forgot to answer this portion in previous post... (...) I think we'd all agree the current process is inherently inefficient and completely human-driven, and appears somewhat arbitrary. Nobody is arguing that something far better needs to be (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) The admins are in the business of issuing value judgments, so I contend that any decision that they make can spark shouts of favoritism which is why this should be, at the very least, marginalized as a factor in a judgment if not disregarded (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) All day I've been trying to remember something--this reminds me of a movie I saw years ago-- (URL) - or the Gentle Art of Japanese Extortion Basically there were these 'not quite thugs' that would 'not quite intimidate' people into paying them (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) [ snip ] (...) Not really - I think I understand pretty well your argument about language, and have no problem with it. (...) It's difficult to judge things like this accurately when the entire sequence of events isn't presented fully. Willy's (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) I see your point, but I would not want to filter this one, for obvious reasons. (...) You don't need a foolproof language filter, nor can it be made 100% foolproof either, IMHO. When you take out the 'foolproof' requirement, this sort of (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) umm... I think you underestimate just how fast the lugnet server hardware is and that the posts are already indexed to be searchable. This url (which has been sanitized) found all occourances of one of 7 dirty words in 0.2 seconds. To get them (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Dear Willy, might I invite you to spend more time at the www.1000steine.com/forum ? That is now in fact one of the friendliest places in the internet and has a more professional administration as I would dare to judge. At least nobody there (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) It's your choice to accept LUGNET's rules as censorship. It's also my choice to disagree with that interpretation. It is what it is. - snip - (...) There has never been any intent to lie, and I don't see where it is a lie. The most direct (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) My post here should probably be in its own new posting, but I'll say it here for emphasis. It high time we created an explicit group just for gripes and complaining. For those that wish to read the gripes, they can log into that area, (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

Woah, I just realized this was going to lugnet.general, and not to lugnet.admin.general. Should probably change the FUT! (...) Yep. There's a kazillion ways to get around it, and I'd probably just prefer it if the system caught casual accidental (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Posting problem

(...) Wow, that is very weird. Can you give a pointer to the message that did post correctly? (...) Hmm, that's disturbing. I wonder if some hidden translation is happening on the From line somehow/somewhere which is confusing the known-name lookup. (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general)

  Posting problem

I just attempted to reply to a FTX message. FTX was selected as the message format. I clicked Preview and then Send, and got the error message about making sure posting setup has been done, I've received the e-mail, etc. I tried to repost, no dice. (...) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  (murfl)

(murfl) (20 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.org.it.itlug, lugnet.general) !!

  Re: lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd curator

(...) My number is 2487, and I'm alrady a curator for SanDLUG (URL) as well. Thanks, Mathew Clayson (20 years ago, 24-Feb-05, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, FTX)

  Re: lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd curator

(...) According to the list of Curators available at the admin.curators sidebar (URL) here>, there is no curator for that group. What's your member ID#? -Lenny (20 years ago, 24-Feb-05, to lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact